Thursday, February 12, 2009

An Action Defined



To Foster:
1. to promote the growth or development of; further; encourage
2. to bring up, raise, or rear
3. to care for or cherish.

For 6 wonderfully blessed weeks I was the proud mama of 5 absurdly adorable kittens. When I first got them the were only five weeks old, sickly, dirty, and in need of some TLC. I immediately went into mom mode and made five trips to the vet in the first week. There were feedings every four hours (that means getting up at 2 am!), five different antibiotics twice a day, and lets not even start on the chore of cleaning up after them....

However, I loved them at first sight. I never once questioned why I was doing it or whether it was worth the sleepless nights or if it was worth the emotional roller coaster of wondering if all of them would pull through. Even now, when I am still feeling pangs of sadness from missing them so dearly, I am looking forward to doing it all over again. Why? Because there aren't words to express the joy I felt as they each grew into their own little personalities and the love I felt when every time I walked in the room, I had five little purring balls of fuzz clamoring to get on my lap, shoulders, head - whatever was available.

So now that they are at the adoption facility waiting to be adopted into their forever home, I just wanted to take a moment to memorialize them for myself... my first batch of what I hope will be many foster babies.

Meggy - The Dirty Faced Feisty Runt:

Lucinda - The Ladylike Escape Artist

Opal - The Motor

Tux - The Lover


Sprocket - The Beast


I love them all dearly and wish that I had a home big enough to keep them all. I will have to settle for knowing that I did everything in my power to give them the best start possible and that another person will love them just as much as I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were a great Mom, and will continue to love & nurture each baby, (and they all will be your babies, no matter the age) you take in. The pain will be felt each time, but it is worth it. You have given them a chance, to each and everyone. A chance they longed for. To know love, human touch, a full belly, and shelter; a life without pain, fear. They thank you with their purrs, and their loving touch with their paws or a simple curling up next to you.
You are blessed with each one!

Just as I am blessed with you!

Mom