Saturday, December 20, 2008

Christchurch, New Zealand


Our second honeymoon destination was Christchurch, New Zealand. After our midnight arrival and the discovery that the rental car company was nowhere to be found, nor was the car that we were told would be parked and ready to go - we just took a taxi to our B&B. A bit tired and sufficiently aggravated about the rental car, we were thrilled when we pulled up to the historic manor that would be our home for the next 2 nights. It was built in 1861and it was beautiful, both inside and out!

The next morning we walked through the city's Botanical Gardens, which were actually quite impressive (well, as impressive as trees and flowers can be). Granted, Cassidy and I aren't really the types to stay in the gardens for hours on end and ponder the species of trees...but every so often we do stop to smell the roses and take a picture or two. Below are pics of a black swan that lived on the river that ran through the gardens. He caught me taking his photo and came over to where I was, presumably b/c he wasn't all that into me hanging around his family. However, I got a good pic of his red bill and eyes (then ran away)!


We then headed toward Cathedral Square to see the namesake cathedral - "Christ Church". The town square was an interesting mix of older, more detailed buildings and a whole lot of buildings built in the 70's and lacking of any character. I think Cassidy and I have been spoiled by the beautiful architecture of cities like Prague, Paris, and Rome because we spent a little bit of time taking it all in but then ultimately decided our time would be better spent with a meal and some cocktails. We did end up having some of the very best Indian food we have ever tried that night. So if any of you ever go to Christchurch (I'm sure you've been inspired by my yawnfest post), go to Himalayas on Colombo street!




The next morning we picked up our rental car and started our 4 hour drive toward Mt. Cook! Stay tuned for some beautiful views like you have never seen before! Unless, of course, you have been to New Zealand.

2 comments:

Kimber said...

black swans, who knew? I love the one of him peeking at you, so cute!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the pics of Milford Sound when you post them. I have some of the most beautiful pics from there. Framed in my kitchen! Hurry up and post more honeymoon pics!!! Tottaly takes me back to NZ; I love it!

-Lins